Monday, July 1, 2013

Normalizing?


  Can it be?  I'm on day #9 of a plant-based diet.  The symptoms for which I began this journey to begin with are completely unpleasant, sometimes painful, always uncomfortable.  These symptoms have altered my life - migraines would make me miss out on several days of life at a time - one or two days of migraine and another 2 or 3 days of  the notorious "migraine hangover" or post drome.  So, even though the pain would only be severe for a day or two, the brain fog, feeling disconnected, poor memory and inability to eat anything substantial (which led to fatigue, weakness and grogginess) made the post drome phase ridiculously uncomfortable.  Another thing that plagued me, even after eliminating dairy and grain from my diet, was G.I. upset.  Outdoor activities were difficult (hiking, camping, fishing) and shopping was complicated because I always had to be near a restroom.  We travel quite a bit and I found myself choosing to stay home instead of venturing out into the vast unknown.  Eating out was difficult because my triggers could be "hidden" in foods and I'd be none the wiser - until I got ill.  I know if I've eaten something I shouldn't within half an hour of eating.  And, if I'm lucky, it would be limited to G.I. symptoms... within a few hours, the migraine could start.  Not knowing, at any time, if I was going to get sick, it was the worst part. 

  Anyhow... I'm on Day #9 of plant-based and have had no G.I. unpleasantness or migraine issues in 7 days. None.  Even when I'd eliminated dairy and grains, I was having problematic G.I. symptoms at least 5 days a week.  The thought of being free of such debilitating symptoms is amazing.   Here's hoping that I can continue and keep the ickies away!

No comments:

Post a Comment