Thursday, July 11, 2013

Day 2,479



  Day 2,479 - OK... not really.  But it feels like it sometimes.  :)  I think I've hit a wall.  We have been so busy this last week - Lyla's surgery, Sam's asthma attack (and a doozy of a medication schedule for both of them that abruptly ended today (what will I do with the extra 2 1/2 hours that I don't spend with Sam on the nebulizer (a.k.a. "The Motivator"), rolling up pills in fake cheese product for Lyla (Really - as smart as that dog is, you'd think she'd get it - she's trained to do all kinds of miraculous feats and she doesn't catch on to the fact that the nastiness that she spit out without the cheese is in the middle of the cheese? I find it odd.), tons of baseball games (including the longest double header in the history of Boys 14U baseball), preparing for some more baseball, preparing for a road trip (camping in the North Woods - with three boys, husband, father and 2 dogs... how could this NOT be enjoyable?  I'm considering just letting them go... LOL - staying home and getting a REAL vacation!)...

  Planning for outings has proven to be quite the challenge.  My family, as those of you who know them can attest, is comprised of cavemen.  They want their meat.  If there is a vegetable with it that's fine (except for the biggest caveman, who swore off green leafies 44 years ago), but the meat is very important.  Especially if it is chicken wings.  So, when we were on the road last weekend, we had to get lunch.  Of course, they wanted Buffalo Wild Wings - and honestly, I'd be fine with that, except all of their salads have lettuce (iceberg), meat, cheese, croutons... topped with a dairy-based dressing.  I was not about to get an iceberg lettuce salad with tomato - hold EVERYTHING else - pay $10 for it and have to try to pretend not to be a crab ass for the rest of the (very hot) tournament.  So, my wonderful family made another choice - a Chinese buffet.  Normally not my thing, but I figured my chances there were better than at the fried chicken mecca.  There were not a lot of plant based choices, and even fewer completely vegan AND grain free choices.  So, I compromised and had a few shrimp - still avoiding the fried, still avoiding the red meat and poultry.  I learned that it didn't agree with me any more than the red meat or poultry... so again... that was an important lesson. 

  Figuring out travel is going to be a big deal for me.  We have so many medications, supplies, service dog (and all of her stuff), people, etc to pack for when we go, that I have to find a way to streamline and pack for myself.  Another challenge is that I don't like cooking with a microwave - So, I'm sure I will figure it out, but in the meantime... I'd better get researching.  I don't want to be cranky on a 10 hour road trip and sleeping in a tent where there are bears is stressful enough.  Can you even imagine how sorry you'd feel for that bear that chose to try to get my lettuce?  Poor Dear... wouldn't know what hit him.  (And I say him because Mama Bear is watching her figure too and would never consider getting another Mama Bear's lettuce.)

  And so...on Day #19 of this Journey to Well, a journey of learning what is working for me, learning what is NOT working for me and finding my peaceful in the middle of the chaos, I move forward.  Figuring it all out is part of the journey.  I've figured stuff out before, I just have to do it again.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment