Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Day Four and Almost All is Well!

Day Four from the front lines - I took a bite of meat.  One bite.  I'm having a lot of difficulty with cooking for my family and not being able to taste - not sure what it tastes like and unsure of seasoning.  So... I don't know that that's really "cheating".  I guess the good part was that I didn't want any more.  I've really not had any cravings thus far.  I've had a few rumbly tummy moments, but a few nuts, veggie smoothie, some berries, an apple... I'm managing.

  Monday night was a rough one here...I haven't heard officially what it's being called, I've heard tornado and I'm gonna go with it.  Our neighbors' garages blew down (two different garages at two different houses), the siding and a window were ripped off of one of our garages, trees uprooted everywhere.  It was the craziest thing... one minute I was getting ready to go pick up my older boys and my Dad - they were fishing in the next town over - the sky was a little overcast, but the sun was trying to shine... and the next minute the power went out and before we knew it, there were branches flying past the kitchen window.  

  So, of course, we had no power.  We have food here, but I did find a hole in our preparedness plan.  When it is 90* outside, you certainly don't want to start a fire in the fireplace to cook.  When it is raining, grilling is not ideal.  Gotta think about that.  So, I missed my morning smoothies but all in all, I did well.  I was glad that I made the lentil and cauliflower curry... came in handy.  Thankful to have power back and looking forward to my morning smoothie tomorrow. 

  Tonight's dinner was carnitas - but not for me (not counting the bite I took to make sure it didn't need any other seasonings.)  How do others get around this?  I will be cooking meat for this crew.  I'm not expecting anyone else to follow suit, but I love cooking and do need to figure out... maybe the tastes while cooking are just part of the deal.  I had another taco salad -  with a little bit of rice (with black beans and tomatoes, onions, chilis and cilantro). 

   So, the day wraps up.  On a good note.  Mama got a vehicle today.  I'm loving it so far and so very excited to not have to drive the pickup truck any more!

  And, on a fantastic note: We thought our litter of baby kittehs was blown away in the storm. We didn't see them for 2 days!  We found them today!!!!!!!!!  I'm so excited to report that Willie, Si and Miss Kay are alive and well.  So precious!  <3    

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jenni! One thought-what I do about the tasting issue it is have one of THEM taste it. At this point I have zero desire for meat so this is what works for me. I enjoy reading your blog, and believe you will find the better health you are looking for, one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim. That's a good idea... I do have plenty of willing taste testers for that to work. As I said, for someone who loves to cook, I think it will be a bit of a transition. But when I took the taste, and really, it was less than a bite, it was just a taste, of course it was good, but I didn't "need" any more... I was fine with not having it. It's a God thing, I'm sure, I've just prayed the whole time for no cravings, for satiety and to just not make any animal product I taste to not be appealing. Could be entirely a mental thing on my part, but if it is working, I'm not arguing. I'm on day #5 and I've not had one craving - sweet, salty OR meaty. Rollin' with it. Love you, Mama!

      Delete